Monday, November 29, 2010

New WW Plan

So today, Weight Watchers launched their latest plan, called PointsPlus. It's a pretty big change from the original Points system.

The original Points system determined a points value based on calories, fat, and fiber. This new plan doesn't incorporate calories into Points at all!

The new PointsPlus plan calculates points based on:
  • Fat
  • Carbohydrates
  • Protein
  • Fiber
Some new and cool factors about the plan are:
  • Fruits are now 0 points!
  • Keeping carbs and protein into account will pretty much force me to eat more "clean" instead of eating processed crap-ola!
  • I get more daily points (DP's) and weekly points (WP's); however, that has increased because some points values for certain foods have increased, so that basically evens out
Although this is pretty cutting-edge and seems pretty effective (I know Jennifer Hudson was one of the "guinea pigs" WW used and she lost her weight on that plan, and they've been using it in the UK for about a year now), I have a love-hate relationship with change. I know you can't progress without some sort of change from time to time and that life is boring when things become stagnant. However, I find comfort in the familiar and get uncomfortable when that feeling of familiarity is messed up.

As I've done my homework on learning the new plan though, my feelings of discomfort have subsided a lot. The plan looks really effective and I think it'll keep things interesting. It'll take about a week or so for me to get used to it, but that's alright. I just hope this translates to some sort of a loss on the scale this week! I'm .6 away from losing my first 5 pounds. However I've kind of set a high goal for myself; I joined November 11th and I graduate college on December 18th. That's 5 weeks total, and I made a goal to try to lose a rate of at least 2 pounds a week so I can lose 10 pounds by graduation! If I fall short of that, I'll be fine- I just thought it would be something good to shoot for. I know a healthy rate of weight loss per week is between .5 and 2 pounds, so 2 pounds is on the obviously high end of that. I think if I work hard and be mindful of what I'm eating, I can definitely do it!

For those who are on WW, what are your thoughts on the new plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment