Thursday, December 2, 2010

Not having the best day at all...

So far, this day has had mostly bad points with minimal good points. Let's start with the good, shall we?
  •  Today is my "Friday"- I don't have any Friday classes, and I don't work on Fridays either
  • There is a basketball game for both the women's and men's basketball teams tonight! I love watching basketball!
  • My grandparents came out to visit me at school and we got to go to one of my favorite restaurants and they took me to the store to get a few things I needed (and gave me an extra $20- gotta love grandparents!). I love my grandparents a lot and am very close with them, so it's always nice to get a visit from them while I'm away at school.
  • I was good at the restaurant. We went to my favorite Italian restaurant and I only ate one piece of bread, ate the salad with a tomato-based dressing (so it's low in points), and only ate half a plate of spaghetti & meatballs- hooray for portion control!
Now, for the bad :(
  • I weighed in this morning and the scale showed a 1.6 pound gain. Unless I lose 5.2 pounds this week, my goal of losing 10 pounds by graduation (averaging a rate of 2 pounds a week loss) is basically shot to hell
  • When I went to WalMart with my grandparents after lunch, I saw my former best friend and her mom there. I'm not going to get into the big story of how we're not friends anymore but to make a long story super short, we got into a conflict over the summer where we were BOTH in the wrong (even though I apologized TWICE for my share of the wronging) and she basically threw me out of her life like I was garbage. I try not to let people hurt me, especially since I can't control what other people do, but I'm a deeply sensitive person and get my feelings hurt very easily. Considering this girl was someone I thought was my best friend and to find out she really wasn't if she was willing to just throw me out of her life like that because of ONE fight just really hurts. It happened in May, but I'm still hurt by what happened. I've been trying to tell myself I'm not hurt by it, but to be honest, I'm still hurt. Maybe not as hurt as I was in May, but still hurt nonetheless. Last I checked, friendships sometimes have conflicts, just like any other relationship. Needless to say, seeing her brought back all my feelings of hurt and betrayal and it was all I could do to not cry in the middle of the store.
Looking back now, my day has really had more good points than bad. It just seems like the two bad things about today outweigh (literally, in one respect) the good. It's pretty easy for us to ignore the good and dwell on the bad.

I will not let these two setbacks ruin my day. I still have other good friends in my life, and genuinely good people who care about me, and me for them. As far as my gain, weight gains are part of a weight-loss journey and it would be slightly unrealistic to expect myself to lose weight EVERY single week. It would be different if I was on The Biggest Loser, but I'm not (I sure wish I had Bob and/or Jillian to kick my ass in the gym!).

To reflect on my gain, it probably came from a few things:
  1. I ate a lot of rich food on Thanksgiving. Even though I tracked it all, the points values were probably higher than I was able to find.
  2. I ate a small piece of chocolate pecan pie yesterday, but I tracked it and was still within my DP's and WP's and didn't even have to dip into my AP's. However, it's very rich and sugar/carb loaded, so that probably had a lot to do with it.
  3. Water weight, possibly? I'm drinking water and tea like it's nobody's business!
  4. Weight Watchers released their new points system this week and maybe my body was just a little shocked by the change, since I changed my eating habits some this week (some for the worse, some for the better).
  5. I didn't meet all my GHG's every day. My biggest challenge was meeting my quota of 5 servings of fruits & veggies a day. 
  6. I didn't get all my healthy oils in, either.
This is my plan of attack to kick this gain in the butt and MAYBE even lose that 5.2 pounds to keep my goal of losing 10 pounds by December 18th at an attainable goal (I started November 11th, and graduate December 18th- that makes 5 weeks at ~2 pounds a week loss).
  1. Drink at least 100oz. of water a day- this is easy for me because I usually drink around 90oz. a day (I looooove water! Seriously, it's my favorite drink in the world).
  2. Watch how many carbs I'm consuming and focus more on protein and fiber.
  3. Get in all my fruit/veggie servings. That was one of my pitfalls this week.
  4. Get in all my healthy oil servings.
  5. Do at least 30 minutes of some form of activity each day this week.
Some good things that have happened since starting Weight Watchers, DESPITE my gain this week:
  • I am much more energized now- before, I was eating very unhealthy foods on a daily basis (think pizza, enchiladas, desserts, etc.) but now I'm much more mindful of what's going in my mouth.
  • I'm not gassy all the time (forgive me for the TMI)- you know, since eating bad foods is NOT good for bodily functions.
  • My face even looks a little thinner! I know my total weight loss to date is only 2.8 pounds, but my face is the first place my weight loss starts to show up.
  • I don't feel bloated and gross all the time.
  • My self-confidence is starting to come back again, even though I just started. Before, I felt totally gross and unattractive and it was negatively affecting my relationship with my boyfriend. He still saw the beautiful, thin girl he's always thought I was (even before I lost weight last summer)/I became last year (I lost 24 pounds last summer and gained 25 back) but I saw a gross, unattractive woman in the mirror.
In retrospect, more good things have came out of this weight-loss journey than one minor setback such as a small gain this week.

If you read this entire post, you rock and will be my hero forever (hehe)! This was really written for me to sort of "think out loud" and reason out everything that was bothering me. Sometimes it helps to just talk about what's on your mind, right?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment