Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Potato Butternut Squash Soup (YUMMMMM)

Tonight my mom made the most amazing soup you will ever put in your mouth. Seriously. This recipe was adapted from some sort of homemade cookbook. The soup was perfect on a night like this (cold and rainy). Absolutely 100% comfort food.

The recipe called for carrots originally, but my mom used butternut squash instead because of its buttery, rich texture (and we happened to have some at home so that's what was used). The recipe also calls for an onion, but my parents are both allergic to onions so we had to omit that. Too bad, because an onion would have really put this soup over the top. Lastly, we substituted ham instead of bacon because ham has less fat. Bacon would make this soooooo much better than it already is, though.

This recipe equals 8 Points+ values per serving and serves 10 (but to be honest, I think it serves more). You will have leftovers for a longggg time, unless you eat it all at once. It's that good.

It doesn't look fancy or gourmet by any means, but it is delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1 pound of diced ham
  • 1 cup of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 2 quarts water
  • 6 T butter
  • 6 T flour
  • 1.5 C milk (we used 1% in this recipe)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  • In a large pot cook potatoes and butternut squash in the water until tender (about 20 minutes).
  • Drain and reserve the liquid
  • Set veggies aside
  • In the same pot, combine the butter and flour
  • Add salt and pepper and gradually add milk
  • Stir constantly until thickened
  • Gently stir in cooked veggies
  • Add one cup or more of reserved liquid until soup is at the level of thickness you want
 I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! I just realized that 3 out of 5 recipes on here are soup recipes. Y'all probably think I'm some sort of soup freak, but I'm not! haha

1 comment:

  1. YUMMMM!!! I am also on WW...I saw your comment on Kelly's blog and thought I would follow you :) Feel free to follow mine if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete