Monday, December 6, 2010

Taco Soup!

So, the weather has been very cold lately (ok fine, maybe it's just been about 40ish degrees on an average Texas day here- gimme a break, we Texans get cold easily!) and it seemed like perfect weather to make one of my favorite soups in the whole world- taco soup!! Everybody has their own favorite recipe to make, and here is my revised recipe to make it more points-friendly and overall more healthy :)

Sorry there isn't a picture of this awesome, tasty soup. While making the soup, clumsy me cut my left index finger with a knife and it was bleeding nonstop (hooray for my boyfriend coming to the rescue to finish the soup!). Seriously, it took about an hour of clotting that cut before it was able to hold a band-aid. Sorry for the TMI!

Now that I've thoroughly grossed you out, here's the recipe :)

Stephanie's Healthy Taco Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used 93-7 this time, but feel free to use it as lean or fatty as you want)
  • 1 (10oz.) can of Rotel
  • 1 (15.5oz.) can of black beans
  • 1 small can of chopped green chiles
  • 1 yellow onion (but feel free to use any onion you want)
  • 1 packet of Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Mix
  • About 1 T cumin (I don't measure spices much, I just season to taste)
  • About 1 T cayenne pepper (same applies from above seasoning)
  • 1 (15.25oz.) can whole kernel corn (I used the no salt added kind since the Ranch mix has some salt)
  • 1 cup water
Directions:
  • Brown beef in a nonstick skillet.
  • Slice the onion in however big or small you want the pieces (but don't slice your finger like I did!)
  • Combine onion with the beef and let both brown until cooked through.
  • Combine meat, onion, spices, water, and all cans into a large pot (big enough to make soup, anyway) and mix well
  • Bring to a boil for about 5 minutes.
  • Reduce heat and let soup simmer for at least 30 minutes (it gets better as you let it simmer longer).
  • Serve with desired toppings of choice. My personal favorites are a dollop of low-fat sour cream, a little cheese (any kind you want), and some crushed up tortilla chips (my favorite is the Baked Doritos).

This makes about 8 servings and comes to 5 Weight Watchers Points+ a serving (it will be more points depending on what you top it with if you desire to do so). I also enjoyed this with a piece of cornbread. Perfect combination!

If you have never tried any version of taco soup, this is a great place to start. I hope you love this soup as much as my boyfriend and I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment